SUBMISSIONS

Submissions are accepted on a regular basis, year-round.
Can include, short stories, essays, poetry and prose.
Must not exceed 3,000 words.
Must be written by a current ESA student, or alumni.
Submissions are accepted: e.s.say.says@gmail.com

Friday 8 May 2015

New Eyes
Shanice Pereira

The eyes of a child, so innocent and bright,
Cannot fathom what comes out of the night.
The shadows are there even if they are unseen,
They cover the lively grass that once was green.

Yelling, screaming, hurtful words,
These visions of the past hurt.
Broken child, broken home,
This is how I was known.
Watching from the inside, looking out,
The separation left me in an emotional drought.
All I could see was a big, brick wall,
But to live my life; it would have to fall.
Fall
Fall
Fall
Then I saw the rays of golden light,
For once I knew everything would be alright.
The world opened up with endless possibilities,
And then they fell away, those harsh realities.
As waves crash upon the rocks,
It was time to begin the ticking of new clocks.
Love became my glasses to see,
And I could finally believe that a good world awaited me.
Light and love helped me see,
What I could do and who I could be.
The pain of the world could now be stopped,
Because I knew that my fear could be dropped.
The world still lacks people, who will do what is fair,
But the only way to change this is to care.
If you dare.
Dare
Dare
Dare
These are the musings of a love-struck girl,
Who’s got the courage to change the world.
The nightmares will fade into the night,
As we are overwhelmed with the need to do what is right.
As a new dawn breaks, I bid you adieu,
For it is time to say farewell to the world we knew.



No comments:

Post a Comment