SUBMISSIONS

Submissions are accepted on a regular basis, year-round.
Can include, short stories, essays, poetry and prose.
Must not exceed 3,000 words.
Must be written by a current ESA student, or alumni.
Submissions are accepted: e.s.say.says@gmail.com

Sunday 22 January 2017

On the Writing of Sonnets for a Grade
by Alexa Veldhuizen
It seems to me that high school English class -
Designed by teachers who once too were youth - 
Should not require me to make an ass
Of myself writing sonnets wrong, forsooth!
It's bad enough we read outdated plays
Without having to write poor poetry,
So why should we be forced to waste our days
Unfairly earning grades below a "C"?
I'm fascinated by the study of
Linguistics, and by language as a whole,
But English class destroyed that muddy love
That had been blossoming inside my soul. 

In honesty, it could be a lot worse
Than having to write poems in rhyming verse

No comments:

Post a Comment