SUBMISSIONS

Submissions are accepted on a regular basis, year-round.
Can include, short stories, essays, poetry and prose.
Must not exceed 3,000 words.
Must be written by a current ESA student, or alumni.
Submissions are accepted: e.s.say.says@gmail.com

Saturday 21 February 2015

Boxes
Lea Paas Lang

My family likes boxes
Little wooden ones line the mantel
Plastic ones hold our belongings
a bigger one
Holds us
In mortar and brick, the box
Held me for a time
A time
Has come that the box is small
And I am too big to fit, too much
But my feet can't step
Out
They don't want to leave all I love
In a box 
But it's comfortable and warm and full
I don't blame them for wanting to stay
I don't blame them for wanting to stay
Because the box is not one of conformity
Or perfection
It's just a place to live
A box

And my family likes boxes

No comments:

Post a Comment