SUBMISSIONS

Submissions are accepted on a regular basis, year-round.
Can include, short stories, essays, poetry and prose.
Must not exceed 3,000 words.
Must be written by a current ESA student, or alumni.
Submissions are accepted: e.s.say.says@gmail.com

Friday 6 February 2015

Buried land
Natasha Matar
 
In the moments I long
To rebuild
The land
Where my footsteps
Were once imprinted;
The land is buried.
 
My mind is troubled by this emptiness.
 
Will I remember the way the sun
Followed me through
The woods
When it burns out its fuel?
 
Skeletal trees
Request
Me to fill
Their vacant sites
 
Desperately,
I try
To piece together
The shapes of my past
 
Yet surroundings are far
Too large to fit
In my retaining space
 
The painting of a reflection sparks
Fragmented recollection,
Scraped sky
 
And for as long as I can remember
With all but the places
That are presently home
 
Like old skin cells left to dust,
Echoes in the distance
A blurry dream,
Shadows settle on the places I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment