SUBMISSIONS

Submissions are accepted on a regular basis, year-round.
Can include, short stories, essays, poetry and prose.
Must not exceed 3,000 words.
Must be written by a current ESA student, or alumni.
Submissions are accepted: e.s.say.says@gmail.com

Saturday 27 April 2019

Indigo/Crimson

I can open both of my eyes
Yet while one sees, the other one cries
Looking past the shoreless sea
I spot capsized rafts awaiting me

I peer into mirrors to find what’s amiss
But I end up blinded instead of blissed
I hear voices that say the key
Is something that I cannot see

Don’t wear tinted glasses – surreality lies
Pink isn’t always the colour of skies
The dark is your friend, as should be your ears
Since invisible silence causes great fears

Water can’t help and neither can you,
The stings have pierced all the way through
Once you’re here, there’ll be no wound to tend
All that’s left is to wait for the end

Forget the colours of your breath
They’ll be gone soon, inviting death
Trade irises for rose bouquets
There’s nothing to see here anyways

They’ll wrinkle and whittle if you watch for too long
Your nectar will dry with the hummingbird’s song
But you sent a seed on its brittle wings
Don’t fret, lest you lose the garden it brings

Perhaps in the depths of the greenest waves
Meadows of coral cover the caves
I don’t know for sure of this faraway bloom…
…are they growing for me? (Only fools would assume!)

Petals, like paint strokes, dapple her hair
One day she’ll find out they grew everywhere
For now she believes she’s accursed with this view

Alas, she’s mistaken – she’s blessed with it too

-Jeanne Polochansky

No comments:

Post a Comment