SUBMISSIONS

Submissions are accepted on a regular basis, year-round.
Can include, short stories, essays, poetry and prose.
Must not exceed 3,000 words.
Must be written by a current ESA student, or alumni.
Submissions are accepted: e.s.say.says@gmail.com

Saturday 27 April 2019

On my way to the bus stop

on my way to the bus stop this morning
the sun was just beginning to rise.
it dawned above the brick red row houses
as well as the sturdy, leafless trees
that line the avenues of my city.

as i emerged from the serene sidestreets
the streetcar whooshed down the main road
and commuters hurried and crammed
into those small steel crowded cars.

i crossed the road, strolling down another avenue.
now the sun was alive and glowing
shining in rays of peach pink and bright amber
shimmering over the blue in my eyes
leaving traces in my copper red hair.

the walls of my fantasy world
began to scale straight into the sky.
suddenly the webs of my wallowing turned loose
unspooling and breaking the locks of my truth.

i was no longer fearing for the future
nor beating myself up over the past
instead fixated on the dogs barking by
or counting the kids with toques on their heads.

i reached the end of my journey
where row houses grew into grey coloured mansions
yet the light still simmered in the same way
when i first set foot into the sleepy morning.

the sun had fully risen against the sky
and all that’s left to do
is to wait in the seas of wonder
nestling into the peace
of my once chaotic mind.

-Owen Merskey

No comments:

Post a Comment